When you’re losing your hair, figuring out the right hairstyle can be a challenge. We’ve got you covered. Board-certified physician and medical director, Martin Maag, MD, and the care team at Honest Hair Restoration have put our heads together to give you our top hair styling tips for when you lose your hair.
At our offices in Tampa and Bradenton, Florida, Dr. Maag provides consultation and support for men and women in the Greater Tampa area who are suffering from hair loss and offers hope with our comprehensive selection of hair restoration treatments.
Take a moment to learn about hairstyling tips to help you through and the treatments available to help you regrow your hair when the time is right.
Hairstyling tips for women
If you’re one of the 30 million women dealing with hair loss, you understand the toll it takes on your self-confidence. Fortunately, making a few hairstyling changes can give you back the appearance of a fuller head of hair.
Here are our top styling magic tricks for women losing their hair:
- Color matters: When you color your hair, ask your stylist to use a darker shade on your scalp and a shade lighter on your hair to give the appearance of denser hair and cover thinning areas.
- Layer up: Long or short, one of the best ways to style for hair loss is to add layers, which boost your hair’s body and camouflage thinning areas.
- Add volume: Instead of wearing your hair flat against your head in a straight style, add volume and give the illusion of fuller hair by using rollers, a round brush, or volume-boosting hair products.
- Avoid weighty matters: Keep your hair looking thick and full by staying away from heavy hair products that keep your hair close to the scalp.
- Parting ways: Try changing the direction of your part to help stimulate different roots and give your hair added lift.
You’ll also want to avoid pulling your hair back into tight ponytails, braids, or cornrows as these hairstyles tend to damage the hair follicles when worn frequently and create hair loss.
Hairstyling tips for men
Many men find that thinning hair means a change in hairstyle is a must. The good news is that the right styling choices can give you the look of a fuller head of hair, and in some cases, the right style can even slow hair loss.
Here are our top hairstyling tips for men losing their hair:
- Take it easy: Be sure to style your hair using a brush that doesn’t pull at the roots but still provides much-needed lift, like a round bristle brush — and be sure to avoid brushing your hair too often and towel-drying your hair with excessive force.
- Keep it short: Though it’s tempting to keep the hair you have long, short hairstyles actually improve the volume of your hair giving you the appearance of denser hair.
- Layer up: Along with a shorter hairstyle, ask your hairdresser to add interior layers to maximize the volume of your hair.
- Parting ways: Some men keep their part for decades, but switching up the way you part your hair not only helps add volume since hair tends to fall flat when parted the same way over and over, but it may also slow hair loss by stimulating different follicles.
- Products matter: Choose shampoos and conditioners that clean and condition your hair without causing more damage — talk to Dr. Maag about the right product for your hair.
For men with a receding hairline who still have hair at the back, sides, and crown, try asking your stylist for a cut that keeps the sides and back shorter and the top a little longer to make your hair look thicker.
Restoring your hair
If you’re one of the millions of Americans suffering from hair loss, Dr. Maag and the team at Honest Hair Restoration can help. More hair means more hairstyles, but that isn’t all. Recent studies indicate that hair restoration helps reverse the negative emotional and psychological effects of hair loss and improves your quality of life.
At Honest Hair Restoration, Dr. Maag examines your scalp and hair and reviews your family history to provide a customized treatment plan. Our team works with you to manage expectations and provide support every step of the way. Some of the hair restoration treatments we offer include:
- Hair transplants
- Exosomal hair restoration
- Follicular unit extraction (FUE)
- Regenerative treatments (like PRP therapy)
- Prescription medications
- Low-level laser treatments
Though every patient is different and results vary, Dr. Maag and our team do everything in our power to help restore your hair.
For more hairstyling help or to get started with your customized hair restoration treatment, contact Honest Hair Restoration. Call 941-739-9001 to schedule a free consultation, or book online now.